The most amazing things will happen at Apokoronas region. A day full of wine, gastronomy and history. First we will visit a scenic village, which has the historical – traditional museum of Apokoronas, with 7 rooms of Cretan history and great descriptions about the way of living in the past. There we can learn how the locals used to live, admire the traditional Cretan house and old everyday tools they used to work with. We will also discover the old and mind-blowing knitting technique of “Kopaneli”!
A few kilometres away, we will enjoy a cup of coffee or Cretan tea “malotira” at a historical place of the Cretan revolution, where a scenic river crosses the square and splits the village. While sitting right beside the crystal clear water of the river we will feel the idyllic landscape of the high trees of the plateau.
After that, we drive up to the foothills of the White Mountains, feeling the environment changing while we are heading to the local winery. There we will meet the specialists of the awarded “Romeiko”. Its production performed with a special way and its taste will take your mind away. Also we will taste other wine varieties like “Vidiano”, “Vilana”, “Malvazia” and “Kotsifali”. The winery possesses a great view of the White Mountains and an impressive art gallery. There, we can see an ancient treadle, which is 500 years old, and walk around the herbs garden and the museum of traditional Cretan exhibits. Moving underground, feeling the heartbeat of the White Mountains, we will visit the cellar which is inside the cave where steadfast rocks cover the cylinder bottles.
The next stop is in Emprosneros, the cradle of the Cretan revolution against the Ottomans. We will admire the ruins of Alidakis tower and we will visit the local cheese factory. We will taste the local cheese varieties like”Graviera”, “Anthotiros” or “Mizithra” and we will be introduced with the cheese-making process. Of course we will combine our cheese tasting with Cretan rusk and “raki” or “rakomelo”! You are definitely hungry, so our next stop will be a local “kafeneio” in Fres village where we will have a traditional Cretan lunch.
- Wine tasting in Cretan and international varieties
- Visit the traditional old cellar
- Details about winemaking tradition in Crete and the art of food pairing
- Explore the cellar of the winery inside an old cave near the heart of the mountain
- Walk through the winery’s herbal garden and the art gallery
- Learn about local viticulture, grapes, and vine-growing
- Learn how to properly taste wine and sample organic varietals paired with locally produced meats or cheeses
- Discover the Cretan tradition and admire the unique museum exhibits
- Visit the cheese factory and discover the secrets of cheese-making posses
- Taste the local cheese like “Graviera” or “Mizithra”
- Chauffeured private tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
- Delicious gastronomy experiences and traditional Cretan lunch
What is included in this tour?
Items that are included in the cost of tour price.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver/guide and wine specialists
- Museum entrance fee
- Wine and food tasting
- Cheese tasting
- Liability insurance and local taxes
- Certified services with ISO:9001
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Cretan traditional lunch
- Small-group tour
What’s not included in this tour
Items that are not included in the cost of tour price.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
All Year Every Thursday and Sunday
Approximatelyn 6 hours
- Wine tasting is not allowed for children under 18 years old. Water or fresh orange juice will be offered instead.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
If you wish to book your own wine tour with your family or friends, we will be happy to create with you the schedule and give you some nice ideas for a memorable tour. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for a unique offer.
Children 2-6 years old: Free