We will start our excursion by paying a visit to Maria’s traditional Wood Oven Bakery. There we can have a nice breakfast and taste all the delicious products she bakes. And yes… some raki is always in order.
• Secondly, we will visit Axos village where a resident, Mr. George, makes spectacular huge wooden sculptures by using departed tree pieces from all over the island. It is remarkable that one will be able to see here a three-meter sculpture of Hercules killing Nemea. The artist is inspired by the history and the traditions of our island. After all, art was always very significant to Cretan history.
• Our next stop will be an antiquated monastery, St. George of Discouri so as to embrace our religious customs. It is considered one of the oldest monasteries of Crete. The abbey of Dioscouri reminds us a small fortress as it was built at the last period of the Venetian domination; at that time an invasion of the Turkish army was likely to happen and the Venetians were building fortresses all around the island. At the monastery besides the central temple and the eminent picture of St. Georgios, the chambers of nuns and the marvellously decorated guest house, the visitors could also visit the museum of the abbey and admire the heirlooms.
• As we continue our trip we will stop in a Cheese Workshop at Livadia, where we are going to taste some of the most famous Cretan cheese such as Gruyere, Feta and Mizithra. As an important source of proteins of high biological quality, cheese plays a central role in the Cretan diet. The Cretan diet is an impressively balanced diet of natural products that offer exactly what the human needs to remain healthy. Recent scientific studies associate dairy products with the prevention and treatment of breast and prostate cancer!
• Our next stop is the highlight of our Eco trip. We will hike near to the top of Psiloritis, the highest mountain of Crete, which is also of great historically importance. The mountain chain of Idi, also known as Psiloritis, unveils all the beauty of Crete under its snow-capped peaks. The White Mountains in the West, mount Dikti in the East, the plain of Messara, the Asteroussia mountains and the Libyan Sea in the South, Heraklion and Rethymno in the North. In the Doric atmosphere of this rugged land, proud, dashing and strong men are bred to farm for a living and search for the real meaning of life in the simplicity and wisdom of nature – more specifically to “Mitato” where we will meet a Shepard in his house. We will enjoy fresh local lamp, charcoaled in the oldest traditional way “ofto”. A unique experience to remember!
• Last but not least, our guests will have the chance to have a coffee at “forgotten” small village.
What is included in this tour
Items that are included in the cost of tour price.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English or French speaking guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance fees of wooden museum
- Full Lunch
- A lot of Raki…
- Photos taken on tour are sent electronically via e-mail
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
Whats not included in this tour.
Items that are not included in the cost of tour price.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
- Museum Entrance 3€
- Monastery Entrance 1€
Every Monday and Sunday
West Rethymno, Crete
08:30 – 09:30
-If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
Children 2-12 years old: 20%