Crete has a huge wine-making tradition. Through the ages, the Cretans produced, stored and traded unique and pure products. From the Minoan civilization until today we created the brand of the Cretan Wine. The terroir of Crete allows the wine makers to produce high quality wines and grow also international wine varieties. On this tour, visitors will have the chance to taste wines from each region of Crete. Let us to introduce you with the wine varieties around Crete like Vidiano, Vilana, Kotsifali, Mantilari, Liatiko,Romeiko and more. Let your palate be surprised from unique tastes and different expressions of those noble grapes.
The first tasting will take part in the heart of the old town of Chania. After a mini walking tour around the narrow streets and the flower decorated neighborhoods, a food safari will follow. Walking in the central covered market of Chania we will taste some of the most famous Cretan products like “graviera”, “anthotiros”, “mizithra” cheese, olives, rusks, kalitsouni (mini cheese pie) and more.
After this gastronomy experience we will visit a magnificent wine shop. The specialists there will lead us to an amazing journey through the ages and a different game of senses. We will taste some of the Cretan wine varieties from Lasithi, Heraklion and Rethimnon and our friendly sommelier will tell us about wine producers of those regions, explaining some special wine-making ways they use!
Now we will drive to the East part of Chania and visit a traditional family winery. We will climb up to the foothills of the White Mountains, feeling the environment changing while we are heading to the local winery. There we will meet the specialists of the awarded ‘’Romeiko’’, its production performed with a special way and its taste will blow your mind. The family produces generally authentic Cretan wine varieties. The spot of the winery possesses a great view of the White mountains and an impressive art gallery. There, we can see an ancient treadle which is 500 years old and we will walk around the herbs garden and the museum of traditional Cretan exhibits. Moving underground, feeling the heartbeat of the White Mountains, we will visit the cellar which is inside a cave where steadfast rocks cover the cylinder bottles.
- Unique tasting of different varieties of Cretan and international wine
- Walking tour of the Old Town
- Visit a traditional family winery
- Details about wine making tradition in Crete and the art of food pairing
- Delicious gastronomy experiences
- Explore the cellar of the winery inside an old cave near the heart of the mountain
- Discover the Cretan tradition and admire the unique museum exhibits
- Walk through the winery’ s herbal garden
- Visit the art gallery of the winery
- Food Safari and Cretan gastronomy introduction
- Learn about local viticulture, grapes, and vine-growing
- Chauffeured private tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
- Learn how to properly taste wine and sample organic varietals paired with locally produced meat or cheese
- Discover the history and mythology of Crete
What is included in this tour?
Items that are included in the cost of tour price.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver/guide & wine specialists
- Wine and food tasting
- Liability insurance and local taxes
- Certified services with ISO:9001
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour
Items that are not included in the cost of tour price.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
- Travel insurance
All Year Every Day Upon Request
- Location Chania, Crete
Approximately 6 hours
- Pick up times
- Tour Starts 09:15
- Terms & Conditions
- Wine tasting is not allowed for children under 18 years old. Water or fresh orange juice will be offered instead.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- Create Your Private Tour With Us
Join usIf you wish to book your own wine tour with your family or friends, we will be happy to create with you the schedule and give you some nice ideas for a memorable tour. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for a unique offer.
- Children Price
DiscountChildren 2-6 years old: Free
Children 7-12 years old: 10% Off